The weather in Charleston on Monday was crazzzzy (for the South). We got rain, freezing rain & sleet. Most of the bridges (VERY important in the low country) shut down. I was happy to work from home in sweat pants :) I did brave the weather for the gym and a quick stop at the food store. Other than those two trips, I was home!
When it came time for dinner, I knew it was time for soup! When we lived in Maryland, Josh loved eating crabs and crab soup. Unfortunately, there hasn’t been a lot of crab eating since our move to SC. I thought this lightened up bisque from cooking light would be perfect. I didn’t make the relish, halved the recipe, and made just a few ingredient adjustments
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 large ear; see Tips) or frozen, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup diced red potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet or hot smoked paprika, plus more for garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon dried ground red pepper (remove if you don’t like heat)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 8 ounces crabmeat, drained if necessary
The result (note: I need to make a light box!!):
How is the weather where you are?