I cannot say enough about this weekend- it was just lovely. This morning started off the way every great Sunday should, with brunch at Charleston’s Cafe. Josh had an apple parfait and I had a blueberry parfait with no honey.
After brunch, I hit up some GTL (in a different order). I went to our development pool to get some sun and to work on switching up some of my choreography.
When I got home, I threw together dinner (more on that later), put in some laundry, and went for a run/walk with Josh. I think we’re going to try to make running/walking together a weekly activity. Its great to have some time to just catch up.
My other slow cooker is much smaller/older, so I was super excited to test out this new toy. For my first test run, I decided to create a recipe based on a recipe from the wonderful Angharad and this recipe.
Vegan Mexican Crock Pot Bean Soup
- 2 cups dried beans (I used 1 cup pinto, 1 cup small red)
- 2 carrots, chopped (~3 oz)
- 1 small onion, chopped (~1.7 oz)
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (recommend puling this back to 1/8 teaspoon or eliminating if you’re not a heat fan!)
- 4 cups vegetarian vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- Toppings (jalapeno, cheese (for non-vegan), lime or lime juice, tortilla chips, tortilla, sour cream (for non-vegan), avocado, or Greek yogurt (for non-vegan)
Place all ingredients in crock pot/slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5-6 hours. Top & Enjoy!
The slow cooker worked really well. I love that it has a “warm” setting. I also enjoy the locking option for travel and the spoon hold on top (no more messy counter top!!).
Look for a CSN stores giveaway coming up in a future post!
Do you have a slow cooker/crock pot? Any favorite recipes?