Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Weekend Pics/Spanikopita Burgers

Good Morning! Sorry this post is a little late! I had a busy night. This may be a long post (sorry), so lets get to it! Here are the few pictures I took this weekend. The first is of my mom and grandma and the second is of my mom and me.




After reading MizFit's blog about doing, not trying, I decided to go to Yoga (not try to go to Yoga) after Body Pump last night. It was a wonderful experience. I took Yoga in college and hated it. Last night's class was challenging and relaxing. Tracey walked us through a number of poses and it was so easy to follow! I found the stretching to be exactly what my body needed. Surprisingly, she also challenged our muscles with a number of the poses! After the classes, I went to Josh's softball game. I ran home and made an altered version of the Spanikopita burgers Tina had posted about. The original recipe is Rachel Ray recipe that I adjusted a bit:

Spanikopita Burgers


Ingredients
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1-10 ounce box frozen chopped spinach (thawed)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon Grill Seasoning (I used McCormicks Montreal Steak)
1/4 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/3 lb ground turkey or chicken breast

Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Transfer onion/garlic to a bowl.
2. Wring the thawed spinach dry. Add it to the cooled onion and garlic. Add in oregano, chicken, mozzarella, and grill seasoning. Mix well. Form 5 patties. Cook paties in the skillet over medium high heat for 5 minutes on each side (or until no longer pink).

Rachel has a topping for her burgers in the link. The burgers were so juicy, we ate them plain on buns with a side of zuchinni.



I got up early this am to go to the gym and practice step! I am excited to have the afternoon free to clean/get the house in order :) Anyone doing anything good today (other than working obviously :))

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute dress!!!!

And those burgers look really, really good!

Erica said...

Thank you! That dress was on sale for $19- I was very excited! Give the burgers a try- they are awesome! If you like feta (I do but Josh is not a big fan), you may want to try the burgers both ways!

healthy ashley said...

I love the pictures! You look great.
And that spankopita burger recipe has to be the best thing. I can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

hey i found your blog through kaths. I read you have an english bulldog! My husband and I want to get a dog soon and he really wants a bulldog but I'm a little nervous b/c they look like they would have a lot of health issues and they drool like crazy! Is yours full bread? girl or boy? I think they are adorable but I just don't want a dog that has a lot of health problems. Can you give me any insight on your dog and english bulldogs in general??? thanks!
Lisa

Erica said...

Ashley- Thank you :) Let me know how your burgers turn out!

Lisa- I have tons of advice for you(hopefully it doesn't turn out to be too much :)) Our dog is purebred, he is a boy, and he is a lot of fun! Bulldogs can have a lot of problems if you do not get them from a reputable breeder (and these problems can be VERY costly). Frank hasn't had a whole lot of problems. If you decide you want a bulldog, here are some things you should know:

1. they drool after they drink.....a lot. I have a couple towels under franks bowls, but when he walks away he tracks the water.

2.bulldogs are like babies and need a good deal of care. You can read a lot about the care necessary here: http://www.champbulldogs.com/care.htm

3. Bulldogs can't take a lot of activity. Our vet recommended that I take Frank for a daily walk no longer than 1/4 mile (yes, you read that right). They also cannot take a lot of heat. We go almost directly from heat in the house to AC because of Frank. If we leave the windows open for too long and it gets toasty at all, Frank starts to have breathing issues.

Now onto the fun stuff-

4. Bulldogs love to relax. As a puppy Frank was very curious and pretty active. Around the age of 1 1/2 he became extremely lazy! His favorite activity is sleeping and he loves company. When I'm at home he seems to get irritated if I'm not sitting around and hanging out with him :)

5. Bulldogs love to love. Bulldogs love to be pet! They love to give kisses, to lay on your lap (no matter how big they are :)).

Frank has been an absolute joy in our lives. Although he is sometimes a good deal of work (I give him a bath/clean him two times a week), he is worth every ounce of time! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Anonymous said...

Best.burgers.ever! Glad you gave them a try! Rachel Ray is a genius! :)

Erica said...

Tina- Yes she is! Thank you for posting about them!

Anonymous said...

awww love the outfits that you & your mom are wearing... you both almost match, in a pattern sense :)

Danielle said...

Wow, those burgers look incredible, I'm dying to try out the recipe! :)

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!

You did it.

MizFit