We had some delicious baked barbecue chicken meatballs the other night! But first, a few non food items:
1. I ordered these adorable cards off of Etsy. Lulu and Stinker has some of the cutest cards I have ever seen! I can’t wait to use these as thank yous after my baby shower:
2. Frank is starting to feel better! Its been so tough to watch him in pain. This experience made Josh and I realize that we’re going to be nutty parents ;)
Ok, back to the food. I first saw Chelsea of We are Not Martha make barbeque chicken meatballs and I’ve been thinking about them ever since! I decided to finally give them a go this past weekend, but using a slightly different recipe & cooking method. Here is what I came up with:
Baked BBQ Chicken Meatballs
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs or panko
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 2 tablespoons + 1/2 cup barbeque sauce, divided
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Spray the cooling rack with non-stick spray.
Mix together first six ingredients and 2 tablespoons of barbeque sauce. Add ground chicken and mix until just combined. Form into 1 inch diameters balls and place balls on cooling rack (they will seem a little “wet”, this made about 24 balls for me). Brush top of meatballs with remaining barbeque sauce.
Bake meatballs for ~20 minutes or until cooked through.
These pictures really don’t do the meatballs justice! I placed Josh’s meatballs on top of a baked potato with more bbq sauce & cheese and a side of fruit:
I had mine with a side of carrots & apples (don’t be deceived…I ate a few more meatballs while waiting for Josh to get home prior to dinner). Then we both had some yummy dessert (Amelia’s awesome key lime pie!!!):)
These were seriously yummy!
Whats your favorite version of meatballs (bean balls, turkey, chicken or beef)? Recipe links welcome!