Hope your week is going well and that you’re coming down from those Halloween sugar highs :). Reminder: enter our shake n’ bake contest!!
It is getting to that time of year when soup, stew and chili make the most ideal meals. I posted this recipe a long time ago (2008) and have adjusted it just a bit. It is one of my most favorite soup recipes (and Josh’s too).
Cream of Cauliflower
- 1 (16 oz.) bag cauliflower (or medium head cut into pieces)
- 1/2 c. chopped celery
- 1/2 c. onion
- 1 (15 oz.) can vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp. butter, margarine or butter substitute
- 4 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 c. milk (skim, 1%, 2%)
- 1/2 c. dairy cream
- 1/2 tsp. basil (or chopped fresh basil- I used some from my Aunts garden- THANK YOU LORI!)
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1/2 c. ground/grated Parmesan cheese
In a large soup pot, combine vegetables and vegetable broth. Heat to boiling, lower heat and simmer (covered) 10 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, melt margarine. Add flour, mix with whisk, then add milk and cream to make a white sauce.
Stir white sauce into vegetable mixture and add basil and ground red pepper. Heat until soup thickens, 20 minutes, covered. Stir every once in a while. In last five minutes, add ground cheese.
Serve with your favorite sides:
mmmm…I could eat soup every night.