I have said it time and time again, but I love to make bars! They’re a wonderful grab-and-go snack or breakfast. I recently searched the web for a bar that included my favorite nut butter, almond! I came across this recipe and used it as a base. I made a few batches until I settled on my favorite. I used a raw, unsalted, creamy variety, but any almond butter will do. Don’t have any almond butter on hand? Feel free to sub in peanut butter or sun butter. I have some suggestions below on how to make the bars either vegan or gluten free.
- 1 large banana
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup almond butter (or peanut or sun)
- 1/2 cup low fat milk (or almond or soy milk)
- 1 large egg (or a flax egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking, make sure they’re GF if necessary)
- 3/4 cup flour (or ground oats)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Additional optional add-ins: 1/4 cup nuts or seeds (I used sunflower seeds) or chocolate chips (to make them sweeter)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
In the bowl of a stand mixer (or can use a hand mixer or a fork), smash banana completely. Add in brown sugar, almond butter, milk, egg & vanilla and mix until combined.
In a separate bowl, mix together oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and desired add-ins.
Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until combined (batter shouldn’t be watery looking- add additional oats or a little flour if necessary).
Place parchment paper in a 9x13” pan. Spread batter. Bake for ~25 minutes. Cut into bars.
Pre-bake (I apologize, I made this at night so the lighting wasn’t spectacular):
Post (who took that nibble out of the corner…couldn’t have been me):
These are a great light bar! Let me know if you give them a go!