Thank you all for the compliments on the baby’s room!
How has your week been so far? Mine has been very productive and pleasant! Our baby boot camp on Tuesday night was pretty good. I learned a few interesting things and feel a LITTLE more prepared .
On both Monday and Tuesday night, we enjoyed a black and refried bean soup. Inspired by Maris’ amazing looking black bean and corn stew, I made the following black bean and refried bean soup:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 jalapenos, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15-oz can low-sodium black beans (do not drain)
- 1 15-oz can vegetarian refried beans
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomato (one plain, one with roasted garlic and onion) (you can either leave these as is or you can purée them as I did- Josh is not a tomato chunk fan)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- Toppings: Plain Greek yogurt, cheese, tortilla chips, baked tortillas, jalapenos, tomatoes, etc
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add chopped jalapeno, onion and cumin. Cook for ~5 minutes until fragrant.
Add in black beans, refried beans, tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
Add corn and peas and continue cooking for ~5 minutes. Top with whatever your heart desires
My toppings included tomato (from our garden), plain chobani and a toasted tortilla. I had a bowl of cantaloupe on the side:
Josh’s toppings were tortilla chips, cheese & jalapenos. He had a bowl of pineapple on the side:
Super tasty! Can you do soup/stew/chili in the summer? Or is this a fall/winter only food for you? I actually really enjoy bean soups/chilis in the summer.